Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:02:48 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <holger.kipp@alogis.com>
To:        H <hans@lambermont.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

H wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > Ports are supposed to run on -STABLE and -CURRENT, and
> > generally run on everything from that branch without to much trouble.
>
> I would like to see that ports are supposed to run on -RELEASE as well.
> A typical production machine follows -RELEASE (no new holy wars now
> please) but should be able to use a cvsupped ports collection to run the
> latest programs.

Hi,

-RELEASE is just denoting a specific point in the -STABLE-Branch.
(That's where the CDs are produced and the minor number is increased).
Usually cvsupped ports should work on -RELEASE, but sometimes a later
-STABLE might provide some bugfixes or additions needed for the latest
cvsupped port.

(Hope this doesn't count as holy war already ;-)

Regards,
Holger