Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:43:20 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   pppd maxconnect question

Hello folks,

I have a question regarding pppd. I have already set it up to dial my ISP
without problems, but I want this in addition:

1) pppd will attempt to connect three times maximum. (ie. if line is busy,
or connection is dropped for some reason)
2) pppd will terminate after a maximum of 20 minutes.

I can get 1) to work by using the 'persist' option with the
connect-max-attempts 3' option, although this was confusing because it
depends on the order of these two options.

I tried using the 'maxconnect 1200' option to terminate pppd after 20 mins,
but when the line terminates after 20 mins, pppd attempts to reconnect again
(up to three times)!

Is there a way to achieve this without using a shell script to invoke pppd,
sleep for 20 mins, and then kill off the pppd process if it's still running?
Maybe the shell script is the best way?

Any advice gratefully received,

Jeff