Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:51:48 +0200
From:      "Mauro Bisiani" <mbisiani1978@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache not binding

   Hi everybody,

   I have recentrly installed Apache 1.3+SSL from the port collection.
   When it run locally everything is ok. But when I try to bind my public
   IP I get the following error message in the apache log file:

   [crit] (49) Can't assign requested address: make_sock: could not bind
   to address

   I have a LAN with an Atlantis router. I have set the router'virtual
   server's rules so that the ports 80 and 443 are redirected to the
   machine with the web server, and also I have set DMZ with that host
   private IP.

   I have made some tests to understand what's wrong.

   Netstat and sockstat report that there is no internet sock.
   I have made a scan with Nmap and it says there is no open port on the
   machine! It seems that every service can run only locally.

   I have disabled inetd. Is this the reason of the problem?

   Any suggestions?

   I have FREEBSD 6.0 and I have installed it with almost every default
   option. I have not set any firewall rules, neither on the router nor
   on the server's machine.

   Thanks to all

   Mauro Bisiani