Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:47:24 -0500
From:      "John Souvestre" <johns@sstar.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Vinum Help Needed

Hi.

I'm running Vinum on a 4.9 system with 3 drives.  The first drive is a =
small
one and I boot from it.  The second and third drive are mirrored, using =
Vinum,
and contain most of the system's data (1 volume, 1 plex per drive, 1 =
subdisk
per plex).

The system locked up on me this morning.  When I rebooted there was a =
problem
with the Vinum mirrored drives.  When I did a "list" from Vinum both =
subdisks
were "stale" and both plexes were "faulty".

After playing around a while, I didn't know what to do, so I stupidly =
tried
something which probably made things worse.  I did a "start" on one of =
the
plexes.  It took a few minutes and then came up along with the subdisk =
on it.
But I'm afraid that it seems to be empty.

When I boot now I get a "bad super block: magic number wrong" error, =
along
with "unexpected soft update inconsistency", "/dev/vinum/mirror: cannot =
figure
out file system partition".

Vinum now lists the drives as "up", the volume as "up", the plexes as =
"up" and
"faulty", the subdisks as "up" and "stale".

I'm guessing that I blew away the first plex.  Is there any way to get =
the
second plex up and running, and to restore the first plex from it?

Thanks!

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com