Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 11:24:26 -0700
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with rpcgen (resolved, sort of)

I recently posted a question about a problem I was having with rpcgen,
where it would mangle `directive' lines that had line continuation
characters as follows:

%#define PRINTRECORD(fp,r,t) {      \
%  fprintf(fp,RECFORMAT,            \
%        UID_LEN,   r->userid,      \
%        COUNT_LEN, r->count,       \
%        SEED_LEN,  r->seed,        \
%        VAL_LEN,   r->val,         \
%        TIME_LEN,  t);             \
%}

(The purpose of doing the above was to wind up with macros in the
generated files that spanned several lines.)

At any rate, after considerable head-scratching I've traced the
problem to GNU CPP's habit of removing the backslash/newline pairs in
all circumstances.  It turns out that rpcgen runs cpp as a front-end,
and on FreeBSD, unlike SunOS and Solaris 2, the GNU preprocessor is
used.  So if anyone had tried to investingate this behavior, there's
no need.

-Fred

P.S. I enjoy using FreeBSD and am pushing it for server use here in
the lab I administer.  We have 8 machines in various roles with an
aggregate of about 60GB of disk space on these 8 machines.  Apart from
little puzzles (like the above) from time to time, everything works
well.