Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:05:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Security Administrator <sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Scsi)
Subject:   exabyte problems

Howdy,

I have an Exabyte 8500 and it is NOT working properly.  I was assured
by its previous owner that the drive was in perfect working condition,
but the moment that I added it to my SCSI chain on my FreeBSD 2.2.1
system, it barfed.  To be specific, I have an Adaptec 2940UW card with
two SCSI-III drives on one chain and the SCSI-I tape drive off another
ribbon cable.  Whenever I try to write to the drive, it has a slew of
write errors that kill whatever process is trying use the device.
Neither dump nor tar are immune.

I made sure that the Adaptec negotiates with the drive for 8-bit operation, and the tape drive comes up perfectly at boot time, ie., it is properly
identified at the right LUN and with the right name.

I have tried a little experiment.  I happen to have an Adaptec 1542B kicking
around, and I tried to integrate that into my system.  With that card, there
is a new problem.  The card comes up fine... unique IRQ, DRQ, and AT port
addresses and numbers.  As far as I can tell, there are NO conflicts and the
OS talks to the card fine.  At boot time, the card recognizes the tape drive
on the scsi chain perfectly.  HOWEVER, whenever I try to read/write to the
drive, the read/write operation times out.  I also can not execute a
scsi -f /dev/rst0 -p command... It times out.  I originally thought that
this was due to an IRQ or DRQ conflict, but the settings are unique and there
ARE NO CONFLICTS.

Also, whenever I try to terminate the tape drive, the SCSI bus can't locate
the 8500.  Since the tape drive isn't the last device on the bus connected to
the 2940UW, this isn't a problem.  But, I thought that the tape SHOULD be
properly terminated on the 1542B bus.

If anyone has any advice or ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Josh Pincus
--
System Security Administrator