Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 17:58:10 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        etalk etalk <yanyuejin2004@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance-request@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about ufs filesystem io performance!

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:12:42PM +0800, etalk etalk wrote:
> 5.3 vs 6.0=20
> The test tool is Iozone3_257, and the test command is ??./iozone -A -f=20
> /mnt/tmpfile.test -g 1g -n 1m -q 8k -y 2k -R -b outfile-Af.xls ??=20
> (http://www.iozone.org/src/current/). We ran all the tests on the same PC=
=20
> with 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU and 512M main memory. Figure1~Figure5 show the=
=20
> results of the file system performance comparison between Bsd5.3??s UFS2=
=20
> and Bsd6.0??s UFS2 when testing with different file system (local, sync,=
=20
> async, softupdate, sync+softupdate).=20
>=20
> According to the figures, our conclusion is:=20
> On all kinds of file systems, the write, rewrite, read and reread=20
> performance of the two is almost same and we cant say that Bsd6.0 make a=
=20
> improvement on file system IO performance.=20

Very unlikely, since the former is giant locked and the latter not.  I
saw a performance improvement of up to a factor of 7 in favour of 6.0
when I tested concurrent I/O.

http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/bsdcan/Filesystem%20Performance.pdf

If this is truly what you're seeing, then you're probably hitting some
other bottleneck and not actually testing filesystem performance.

Kris

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ--