Date:      Mon, 30 May 2022 01:04:29 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on HP Envy

On Sun, 29 May 2022 18:00:44 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>The unit is presently running Windows 10 Pro and cannot be updated to
>Windows 11.

Hi,

I seriously doubt that a computer that can run Windows 10 cannot run
Windows 11. When I recently install Windows 11 Pro as VirtualBox
gueston a Linux host I first got

"This PC can't run Windows 11

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this
version of Windows. For more information, visit
https://aka.ms/WindowsSysReq ".

By following
https://blogs.oracle.com/virtualization/post/install-microsoft-windows-11-on-virtualbox
I successfully installed Windows 11 Pro.

>I have created a boot only CD and tried to boot-up with that disk
>installed in the PC.  No luck! The machine boots up as usual. For the
>fun of it, I created a Windows 10 installation CD and tried that out.
>Upon boot-up the PC immediately recognizes the CD and starts the setup
>program. Naturally, I exit out of that immediately.

Maybe it's a secure boot issue? Did you disable secure boot? If
not, consider to test what happens with secure boot disabled.

FWIW:
"[...]

Additional installation files are included for computers that boot with
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). The names of these files
include the string uefi.

[...]

This system is too old to support booting from
the chosen media. In this case, the Plop Boot Manager
(http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html) can be used to boot the
system from the selected media.

[...]" -
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/