Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> What we lack more than anything else is a MARKETING PERSON and I'm not

Then maybe we should form a PR group like previously suggested? Nothing
can sell a product more IMO than the people that are fanatical about it.
Since they seem to love the product so much they know more about it than
most.

> kidding here.  I do PR for FreeBSD for the very simple reason that
> nobody else stepped forward to do it, and while I think I do a
> reasonable job of it amongst the techie crowd by speaking at various
> assemblies and consulting firms, I know for a fact that I'm also NOT
> reaching the mainstream.  I don't write good 10-word sound bites or
> punchy advertising copy, my background being engineering rather than
> marketing, and this holds us back from doing even the simplest forms
> of mainstream advertising.  I know my limitations, and this is one of
> them.

> Let me give you a good example of this in action: We could, right this
> very minute, send off about 10 notices to various publications for
> printing in their "New Product Section" - many hi-tech mags have them
> and getting something into this section is FREE - and get some instant
> positive PR for 2.2.6.  Not only has this not been done for 2.2.6,
> there has _never been_ a FreeBSD release product announcement in one
> of these magazines for the very simple reason that nobody has ever
> written the requisite "punchy ad copy" and sent it in.  It wouldn't
> cost us a cent to do it but because we don't have somebody capable of
> just spinning out that kind of copy while sitting on the toilet (and I
> know such people - all very highly paid and very busy elsewhere), it
> has never happened.
>
> That needs to change, but I'm not sure how to go about it.  I'm not an
> advertising guru nor do I know of any working on an hourly basis since
> I don't mix with that crowd very much, but I'd dearly like to change
> that.  To put it another way, if we could locate the person who's the
> brains behind this advert:
>
> 	http://time.cdrom.com/~jkh/happy.jpg
>
> and could somehow subvert them to the cause of FreeBSD, we'd take over
> the world in less than 12 months even if we didn't add a single extra
> feature to FreeBSD.  :-)

haha I LOVE that ad!!! I'm thinking of stealing it and making a tshirt
from it, It's just to funny to pass up. If I get sued i get sued, you cant
get blood from a turnip :)

Ok so basically what we have so far is we just need a PR group, dept,
etc..

I think thats basically what it boils down to. Is we need a group of PR
people, fanatics, to get together maybe once a week or so. Discuss what
opportunities there are for making PR's, what we have to make a PR
about, etc.. I think with the advent of our java group, and hopefully the
new mozilla group and of course the other efforts, multimedia, sparc/alpha
ports etc.. We have plenty to say :)

So whats the skinny? Does this idea of a PR group jive with everyone?
Maybe a web page for PR's?

The ideas are flowing now so lets keep em coming.

Chris

--
"I am closed minded. It keeps the rain out."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security