Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:58:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   3rd time's a charm no-obj-symlink changes!

OK, so I've incorporated most everyone's suggestions and
now we have:

	make obj		# do the new obj behavior
	make obj OBJLINK=yes	# new behavior but also with symlink
	make objlink		# synonym for above - also adds symlink
				# for existing obj, if it exists.

The MAKEOBJDIR variable usage is unchanged since I didn't hear any
compelling arguments for not recycling it.  I did make ${.OBJDIR}
revert back to its previous way of selectively pointing at the obj
tree or at ${.CURDIR}, and it's ${.TARGETOBJDIR} which now points, no
matter what, at the desired obj dir.  Most people should neither know
nor care about this.

Rather than fill up all your mailboxes with yet another diff, I've
also simply stuck them up for ftp.  Here, here's a command line to
cut-and-paste you lazy people! :-)

fetch ftp://time.cdrom.com/pub/no-obj-symlink.diffs.gz

Apply them to the top of today's -current and do the sequence I previously
outlined (make cleandir, apply patches, make world).

I've built the world with these patches and it all (finally) seems to
work.  Thanks for all the testing so far!

					Jordan