Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:19:15 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Reliable Quantum drives (was: Re: your mail)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> wrote:

> Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Geez.  Sounds like they're still building sticky drives.  I don't like
> > Quantum for just that reason.
>
> Geez...now he tells me...:-)).

     Quantum drives aren't all "bad".  In particular, the "Atlas" series
is quite good, although noisy and a bit hot (but not as hot as Seagate
Barracudas).  If you don't mind "average" performance (~4.5MB/sec), the
old Fireball series is decent and inexpensive (I don't know how the
newer/slower "Fireball TM" fares, though).

     I'd stay away from Empire and, maybe, Capella drives, however.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.