Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 10:10:59 +0200
From:      Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about JDK 1.5 Diablo vs. SCSL port

I've been away from FreeBSD Java development for a while, so I need a
little clarification about the differences between the JDK 1.5 versions
available.  Any pointers to source material would be greatly appreciated.

FreeBSD currently has two versions of the Sun JDK 1.5, the version
produced by the FreeBSD Foundation for binary distribution (Diablo) and
the SCSL port effort.

Diablo is based on the Sun JDK 1.5 Update 6 sources.  It was produced
through finacial donations, has necessarily closed sources due to the
licensing terms, was a large effort (for the Foundation), has passed all
of the necessary Sun certification tests, and is not likely to be worked
on further without really compelling reasons.

The SCSL port is based on the the initial Sun JDK 1.5 sources and has no
access to the Update sources due licensing terms.  Access to the Update
sources may be possible in the future if something comes out of the
noise from JavaONE 2006 about "open sourcing" Java produces any tangible
benefits, or we are able to incorporate updates from the JRL (?), but
nothing can be said with any certainty.

Thanks for any clarifications of these statements.