Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:15:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCCARD vs GENERIC

PCCARD used to exist separate from GENERIC due to the zp and ze
drivers not being compatible with pccard's pcic driver.  These drivers
were removed from the system not too long ago by phk.

Now that that is no longer the case, would it make sense to merge
PCCARD and GENERIC?  There are four differences presently in these
kernels.  I don't think these differences continue to warrant having
two different kernels and would like to retire PCCARD and place the
pcic/card devices into GENERIC, as well as two new drivers.

The impact of these changes will likely be minimal.  The only thing I
can think of which uses PCCARD is the pccard install disk.  It may
make sense to merge pccard functionality into the generic install
disk, but I don't know if there is room or not.  It is my belief that
GENERIC, as modified, will work with the pccard install disk.

Here's a summary of the differences:

1) pcic/pccard are enabled in PCCARD but not GENERIC.  Enabling pcic
no longer is that big a deal.

2) RAID devices are in GENERIC but not PCCARD.  The only reason for
this was that I didn't think there would be too many laptops with RAID
devices.

3) APM is enabled by default now in PCCARD, but not GENERIC.  Since I
enabled it by default in PCCARD recently, I'd be happy to disable it
again for the sake of merging.

4) The xe and wi drivers are not enabled in GENERIC but are in
PCCARD.  No reason at all not to have them in GENERIC.

I think that the 40k that we saved in removal of old cdrom devices
would more than make up for the extra pcic/pccard/wi/xe devices, but
I'm biased.

Comments?

Warner