Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2017 20:54:54 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RPi2 snapshot for armv7 won't boot.

bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 03:51:17PM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I had previously tried to upgrade my RPi2 12.0-CURRENT system from armv6
>> to armv7, but it then refused to boot.
>
> Was this done self-hosted, or using crochet? I've been trying for weeks
> (months?) to make the armv6-armv7 transition on a self-hosted system,
> without even getting it to finish buildworld, much less boot. If you
> are self-hosting please describe what you did to make it work as far
> as it did.

I cross compiled it on my amd64 based desktop system and then generated
packages.  I then used those packages to update the RPi, and had
successfully done that several times with armv6.  I had to ask here
earlier how to generate the armv7 packages, but once I patched pkg that
worked fine.  I originally converted a snapshot to use packages using
the wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase.  Based on what I saw
with this snapshot, it appears that my conversion was successful but the
version was unbootable.

>> This time I downloaded the
>> latest snapshot (r325156 from 20171030) and it also refuses to boot for
>> exactly the same reason.  In every case the kernel loads, but then it
>> reports that init has died, and then panics and drops into kdb.  It
>> gives a stack backtrace, but that doesn't mean anything to me.
>>

>> Is this just me, or is anybody else having this problem?  If others have
>> the problem, is there some workaround to get it working?
>>

> I'd be curious to know as well.

It appears to be a general problem base on the other responses I have
seen.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org