Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 95 15:51:55 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthreads

> > While we're on the topic of threads, is there any work on getting
> > kernel level threads into bsd?

> I thibk that this is a natural consequence of allowing kernel reentrancy
> in the SMP port... the kernel becomes internally preemption-safe.

I think Marty Leisner is talking about multiple threads of
control in a single address space.  If so, this can be
handled without kernel preemption.  AFAIK kernel preemption
is really only required to handle realtime processes.

BTW, nice description of `priority inversion' w.r.t.
prioritized realtime processes on MP systems (in your other
message about Scheduling Algorithms).