Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:32:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Alexander@Leidinger.net (Alexander Leidinger)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4

> "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
> > I like others have run into the problems of getting vmware working
> > on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4.  I havent seen a posted solution anyplace
> > so I went to work on good old regresion testing to find out when
> > it broke so I could find what broke it.
> >
> > I pretty much have it down to the update of ports/emulators/linux_base,
> > if you use the old linux_base-7.1_7 code you can get a working vmware
> > built.
>
> Since I did the update to linux_base-8: any ideas what's the cause? Something
> missing? Something wrong?

A few things, I have done some hunting around, the vmware3 binary was
originaly written for I think redhat 6.x, so we are already pushing the
limit with rh 7.x.  Note that I am still trying to find exactly when
it broke.  So far alls I can say si between 7.1_7 and 8.8.  I did try
the Linux_base-rh-7.3 I think and it failed, but that wasnt a clean test,
so now that I finally have an ``operational'' vmware on 5.4 I can start
to narrow this down.

There are some binary patches to fix vmware3 for newer linux systems,
and I have even heard those offered to fix on FreeBSD, they didnot work
for me.

> Those questions assume that vmware3 runs on a native RedHat 8 without
> problems... if this isn't the case: even our RH8 based liunx_base (the
> default one) is outdated and should be replaced by something new, so don't
> expect support for non-default outdated linux_base ports (read: try to get a
> newer vmware running).

I doubt very much that vmware3 runs on native RedHat 8 without patches
of some form, and this is why it is also broken on FreeBSD.

Newer vmware is even harder, as vmware4 isnt even active in the ports
tree any more....  also many of us hold old licenses to vmware3.  And
I think that vmware2 actually works right now, I dont have a copy of it
so I cant test that.

To quote oldversion.com, newer is not always better.

... PREFIX stuff deleted, responded in other email .....

> Do you intend to participate a little bit again in FreeBSD-land?

At least enough right now that I can get a network of 2.x to 4.9
machines all update to 5.4p8.

If I start sending out diff -u's is this the place to send them to
get them reviewed and commited?

--
Rod Grimes                                                 freebsd@freebsd.org