Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:40:43 -0700
From:      Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy Tape Drives

I'm looking to get a tape drive to do backups, but I don't have the cash
to buy a SCSI drive (I'd need to buy a controller, too.) I've already
filled up my IDE controllers, so I guess all that's left is to get a
floppy tape. From reading the mailing list archives, I can see that the
support for floppy tapes is less than perfect. What success has anyone
had with these drives? The two I was looking at are the Colorado T3000
and the Seagate Hornet Travan. They use Travan-3 or QIC Wide tapes. Of
course, I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of another drive that
works well (and, hopefully, is cheap!) Has there been any advance in
floppy tape support in recent releases? I'm currently using 2.2.1, but
will happily upgrade if the support is better.

Robert Ricci
rricci@theonlynet.com