Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FS gurus please..

Here's a question for those who have their heads more around
the filesystems..

Why does MFS unconditionally call spec_fsync() on all vnodes? One presumes
that since it's a memory filesysytem, fsync should do nothing..  I'm also
curious why it doesn't even check that it's a vnode for a special device.
What do we gain by calling spec_fsync on a normal file in an MFS?

I can understand that possibly it should be trying to sync the superblocks
etc from mounted devices where the device is on an MFS /dev. In that case
shouldn't it be checking the vnode types?

This has been worked on by several people so hopefully there is someone
out there who can give me answers tothese questions..

also:
MFS also calls spec_getpages in the same way, which eventually comes back
through a VOP_STRATEGY to mfs_strategey(). does this make sense?

I'm trying to make systems that don't HAVE specfs and also to fix an
interaction between specfs and devfs/slice.

It appears that the fsync() interaction could easily be solved by
makinf mfs_fsync() a nop (why not?)
and the mfs_getpages dependency should be fixed by importing the relevant
code from spec_getpages into mfs_getpages and optimising it..

Can I have comments from the gallery please?
I'm a mu limits of understanding on this and probably need assistance.

What am I missing....?

julian