Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:20:07 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Deven Kampenhout <deven@netexplorer.org>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ypserv.new (feeback requested)

At 12:19 PM -0700 8/16/01, Deven Kampenhout wrote:
>David E. Cross wrote:
>
>>I notice that a lot of people downloaded the ypserv update.  I also
>>know that many people have had the same troubles I reported with
>>the 'old' ypserv.  Have any of you who have had troubles tested this
>>version?  Did it work? For those who are running it, have you noticed
>>any problems?
>
>When was this update published? I cvsuped to 4.4-prerelease ...

A few days ago, David sent a message to a few freebsd mailing lists
about updates he has worked on for ypserv.  He was looking for people
to test them.  If you did not go out of your way to pick up his
updates from the URL he gave, then you are not running his changes.

So, I'm afraid that whatever problem you are experiencing is not
related to the update he is talking about.

Also, the problem(s) he is trying to fix are ones where ypserv dies
under high-load.  It works perfectly fine for awhile, and then 'bang',
it's dead.  So, I doubt that you would see any improvement if you did
download his changes.

Sorry I didn't have anything more helpful to report.