Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2018 21:16:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        mayuresh@kathe.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apple : mac pro : full hardware supported?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:24:26 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> is the newer generation of apple hardware, especially the mac pro, well
> supported by freebsd?

I think not. Due to Apple's development, there is lots
of "system within a system", which requires macOS support
to make hardware components fully work. Trying to do so
with FreeBSD requires hacks and time, and is probably
not worth it. At least that's my very individual experience
and opinion - I wouldn't try it if I wanted a system that
fully works with FreeBSD.

> my thinkpad had some twisted support for it's hardware, specifically
> lacked Wifi support and occasionally shutdown or rebooted on it's own
> and hence had to be sold back to the hardware vendor.

Yes, that is a problem with recent Thinkpads. You usually
don't have that kind of trouble with the older models,
which also feature a much better keyboard, at least
certain series and models do (look out for the TrackPoint
device!). ;-)

> since I am in the
> no-machine state right now, wondered if a monolithic ally well-built
> hardware like the mac pro be worth it.

Running macOS on a Mac is the most convenient thing to do,
and you can run FreeBSD within a VM on macOS. Running
FreeBSD on bare metal probably isn't worth the trouble.
If you want a laptop taht works with FreeBSD, you will
have to invest some time to do research on what you can
buy, especially if you want to buy something new.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany