Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:10:49 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: final call: VERSION variable

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 05:00:16PM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

>  * We also need to have a method for restoring symlinks, thereby allowing an
>  * easier "upgrade" path.
>
> Yes and yes.  That's really the whole point.
>
>  * I like this idea!
>
> Glad someone finally agrees! :)  (Hey billf, where are you -- we
> discussed this last November, remember?)

I'm here! I'm here! :->

> Anyway, we don't need to get into a long discussion over pies in the
> sky, but does anyone have an objection to the main proposal (PKGNAME
> -> PORTNAME/VERSION)?
>
> If not, I'll coordinate with mharo (portlint maintainer, who also
> seems to have taken upon the task of touching as many Makefiles as
> humanely possible) to convert the tree and update associate
> documentation/upgrade kits/whatnot.
>
> If anyone else also wants to help, that will be great. :)

Yes, Satoshi and I did discuss a lot of these things at FreeBSDcon, and I do
like the direction this is going. It makes it very easy to see what's installed
and where everything came from (like how some ports named FooBaz install some
obscure binary called "convertme" or something equally stupid and conflicting.)

One thing we need to really, really make sure is that the LOCALBASE v. PREFIX
issues are cleared up.

Some ports assume that if they're installing into ${PREFIX}/lib that they can
find the libraries they need in ${PREFIX}/lib, which isn't going to be the case.

Something I'd like to look into doing is provide a machine that ports committers
can log into and they'd be logged into their own jail that they could abuse
and clear as needed. Its getting more and more difficult for me to make sure
things aren't conflicting, finding a clean machine around here is near
impossible.

Maybe I'll set one up here and ship it to the good people of WC to sit in the
cluster... hmmm.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
Computer Horizons Corp - CVM