Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:52:39 +0200
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SOLVED: Trouble with timeouts after installing an U160LVD

Justin et al,

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 03:54:42PM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
# >It's a 4.2-R system. Here's the relevant part of the verbose boot
# >(without the new DDYS-T18350N because this makes the system hard to
# >use). The 68pin cable is about 60cm with 4 connectors every 20cm. The
# >active terminator was way expensive (DM50 = US$25). The 50pin cable is
# >150cm long, with 8 connectors spaced 1--------2-3-4-5-6-7-8, aic7880
# >being at position 1, the terminated IBM DCAS at position 8 and other
# >unterminated SCSI2 devices at 5 and 7.
#
# The narrow cable is quite long.  You might try distributing the
# devices more evenly along the cable.  This gives better transmission
# line qualities.  One other thing that might be affecting you is the
# firmware version on the DDYS drive.  S80D is really bad.  The latest
# is S96H.

S96H is exactly what I've got...

Anyway, I found the culprit: it's the removable mobile rack. The disk is
connected to the removable chassis with a short (4inches) flat ribbon.
This makes sort of a T shaped bus, I think, and in my case the T-ness
seems to be not negligible. As soon as I connect the drive directly to
the 68pin cable, everything works fine. Even though the packaging of the
removable rack says "LVD", its cabling and/or connector seating is
obviously crap. This impression is confirmed by trying the disk with a
second removable rack (same model) -- same symptoms. BTW, it's a "A4
Tech H.D.D. Mobile Rack". Stay away from that.

Is anyone using removable racks with LVD drives? What brand/model?

PS: the DDYS's 10min interval of FPA/SMART or whatever it does is funny.
    Screeek; thrrrrrt. I can tune my watch using that. :-)

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/