Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:30:58 -0600
From:      "Edward Aronyk" <earonyk@upnix.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   courier-imap 3.0.3 builds, but generates ACL errors

Hello All,

I recently decided it was time to upgrade courier-imap to version 3.0.3
because of the potential for remote exploits via the disclosed buffer
overflows. The system runs FreeBSD 4.8 (RELEND_4_8).

I went about this by doing a cvsup to get my ports tree up to date.
Following that I did:

# cd /usr/ports/mail/courier-imap
# make clean
# make deinstall
# make
# make install

The compile and installation seem to go cleanly, however the software
doesn't function properly. Neither Outlook, Evolution nor SquirrelMail can
connect to it, and /var/log/maillog contains errors along the lines of

-- SNIP --
imapd: LOGIN, user=USERNAMEHERE, ip=[IPHERE], protocol=IMAP
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.login: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.login_cnf: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.mailrc: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.profile: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.shrc: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.mail_aliases: No such file or directory
imapd: Error reading ACLs for INBOX.cshrc: No such file or directory
-- SNIP --

SquirrelMail had the most verbose error:

-- SNIP --
ERROR: Connection dropped by imap server. Query: SELECT "INBOX"
-- SNIP --

The solution I've seen posted previously to other mailing lists is to do:

# make install-configure

However there is no target for install-configure in the FreeBSD port. Does
anyone have any suggestions? This is a production server with a handful of
clients and I really need to get it online by the start of the business day.
Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Edward Aronyk