Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Fatal trap 9:

 Heres one I can't find in the archives.

 I tried to mount a 720Kb DOS Floppy with:

 /sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

 today  which  returned an input/output error, and returned to
 tcsh prompt. I was interupted and while dealing with  that  I
 turned to notice the following.

 Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
 instruction pointer             = 0x8: 0xf010fa91
 stack pointer                   = 0z10: 0xefbffee4
 frame pointer                   = 0x10: 0xefbfff0c
 code segment                    = base 0x0, Limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1 ,gran1
 processor eflags                = interrupt enabled, resume, iopl=0
 current process                 = 192(sh)
 interrupt mask                  net tty bio
 panic: general protection fault

 syncing disks... 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 giving up

 (this may not be accurate format but the content should be)

 This was a freshly formatted disk with no bad sectors report-
 ed.

 My question is should this have happened the way it did?

 --
 =| Regards,             =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
 =| Kevin G. Eliuk       =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."