Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:09:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Southworth <pauls@etext.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad null-modem user-ppp (wrong mode/label?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

:On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Paul Southworth wrote:
:
:> * /usr/local/bin/ppplogin -
:>   #! /bin/sh
:>   exec /usr/sbin/ppp -dedicated direct-server
:                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It doesn't like this
:Try changing the profile to one without a dash.

Funny, the dash is in the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.default which I copied for
this setup.

I finally did get this working a little while ago, but the dash in the
name wasn't part of the solution.  Basically it wouldn't work at all if
either side was flagged "-dedicated", but after doing an "allow user ppp"
on the server side (which solved the "can't use this label in this mode"
error), and doing flag "-auto" on the client side (or "-ddial") and flag
"-direct" on the server side, the link came up and works fine.

I'll try your "no dash" suggestion as well.  Since the connection is
working, I guess it doesn't matter whether it's "dedicated" or not.

Thanks for the dozens of answers you've been sending to -questions today.

--Paul