Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 97 12:01:42 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acrobat Reader for FreeBSD

grog@lemis.de writes:
> Jerry Dunham writes:
> >
> > What version of Acrobat Reader works with FreeBSD and where might I go to
> > acquire it?  Adobe's site does not seem to contain anything close enough,
> > although the acroread startup script claims one of the options is for
> > Intel/BSDi.
>
> I've never used an Acrobat reader.  Instead, I use the program pdftops
> to convert it to PostScript, which it does reasonably well.  Now if I
> could only remember where I got the program.

a search on ftpsearch.ntnu.no finds quite a few hits.

according to a pdftops.txt on one of the hits, it's a port of
part of xpdf. Apparently the pdf-to-ps functionality was split out.

Can pdftops handle encrypted pdf files ? That's the functionality I
miss the most in xpdf.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de