Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:36:19 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: Spring Break and CardBus

The code base (so far) is almost entirely original.  I have looked at
the newconfig and netbsd CardBus drivers to gain some insights on how
to handle certain things.  At this point almost everything is hardcoded for
my specific setup (an IBM ThinkPad 600e).  I am trying to work away from
that now.  I also want to import as much code as I can from the other efforts
as I hope that will increase portability (I can only work on the TI1251A),
as well as minimize bugs.

I am hoping to have a large quantity of time this evening to work on this...
lets see how far I get.

You mentioned the resource manager... and I agree this is "the right way" to
do things, however this would necessitate making some substantial changes to
the PCI bus code... since things are already passed up and down the bus
with 'bus_alloc_resource()' the impact should be minimal.. I just wanted
to make sure that this wasn't already done for me.   Although on an aside,
a given PCI device may not be attached when other devices are
probed/attached, so I would need to actively peek into the configuration
space of other devices and reserve their spaces before they actually
call 'bus_alloc_resource()'  does this sound reasonable?   What should be
the name for the functions to request space that has not been allocated yet?
bus_reserve_resource()?

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Acting Lab Director                       | NYSLP: FREEBSD