Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:21:33 -0600
From:      secmgr <security@jim-liesl.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.3 have any problem with vinum ?

Andrew Konstantinov wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:55, Oliver Torres Delgado wrote:
>

>>I have freebsd 5.3 rc1 installed perfectly, i configure vinum with the handbook and all work perfect
>>but when try run vinum with rc.conf there display the error:
>>
>>panic: unmount: dangling vnode
>>cpuid: 0
>>uptime= 4s
>>Cannot dump. No dump device defined
>>Automatic reboot in 15 seconds.
>>

>Just like me, you should have checked the mailing list archive first.
>Here is a nice solution:
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-August/035547.html
>I switched from 5.2.1 to 5.3 and had the same problem which you'ved
>described above. Once I've switched to gvinum, everything went back to
>normal.
>
>Andrew

thanks, I appreciate the pointer.  That being said, if this is a "KNOWN"
problem (as far back as August) how come no mention in either the
release notes OR errata.  I like and use FreeBSD for it's stability, but
at this point in time, I've got broken vinum-classic  (with workarounds)
raid5 in 4.10 and raid 1 in 5.3-stable.  Both of these installed per
current documentation. I haven't logged bug reports becasue it seems
like everything is moving to gvinum, and they'd probably just end up
closed out as FINV

jim