Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:15:51 -0400
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>, Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>, FreeBSD Multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3dfx thingie (GLIDE) for FreeBSD?

At 09:35 AM 8/14/98 , M. L. Dodson wrote:
>Harold Gutch writes:
> > On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 12:14:30AM -0700, Donald Burr wrote:
> > > A while ago, a guy (forget his name -- was it Kevin <something>?) was
> > > asking for help and testers for porting some 3dfx (VOodoo) thingie --
> > > GLIDE? -= to FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > If someone would be so kind as to point me in the direction of this
> > > project (a web site?  or the maintainer's e-mail address, even) I
would be
> > > very grateful.
> > >
> > I guess you're thinking of Kurt Olsen <kurto@bootp.sls.usu.edu>
> > and Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>.
> > Kurt was the one who originally posted to -multimedia, Kevin
> > replied stating that he had already gotten a "yes" and the
> > sources from 3dfx and would be starting with the port later that
> > week.
> >

>I don't ordinarily read -multimedia, but this seems peripheral to
> -hackers, so I trimmed them.
>
>This would not include a hardware-accelerated Mesa integration
>would it?  I use SGIs for scientific computation, and would
>really like to be able to recompile some of that software to run
>on my personal FreeBSD wksta.  Unaccelerated Mesa is just
>inadequate to the task (XIG Matrox Millenium II video, PPro 200).

Yes it would, that's the whole reason to port the glide layer to FreeBSD,
cause then you can take advantage of Mesas already existent support for the
glide layer and run OpenGL using hardware acceleration.  I have even heard
that the current Linux glide layer can be run on FreeBSD under emulation,
though I would make sure before I went out and bought a card.
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
http://www.ChrisBowman.com/~crb