Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mike tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netstat -i 5-character interface name length?

> On 6/29/2022 10:56 AM, Chris Ross wrote:
> > Hello folks. ?I just noticed something that I?m sure has been true
> > forever, but I checked and it?s still true on my 12.3-STABLE system.
> >
> One of the first local mods I do is alias netstat to netstat -W for this
> reason. e.g.
> alias netstat?? netstat -W
>
> in /etc/csh.cshrc

That only fixes it for your interactive csh processes, the
original poster had specifically mentioned output from
periodic scrips, aka daily iirc.

One thing that can be done to mitigate the long vlan
dev name (imho the vlan driver should of just named
itself much short, like "vl", as most network devices
are 2 litter names anyway) is to use the "name" option
of ifconfig to give them a better name than the default.

ifconfig vlan2 create vlandev em0 vlan 2 name v2