Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:06:35 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk activity light on Asus SC875 doesn't work

On Jul 31, Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:
> > So, if you wait for a few more days, you may find that
> > your status LED will suddenly start to blink :)
>
> Well, I ported the changes in version 1.100 of ncr.c into the NetBSD
> driver, enabled SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT, and my LED is working now!
> Thanks! :) Now I guess I need to work on the patch from 100 to 101... wow,
> that's a pretty big diff :)

Well, it *looks* big, but I think it should apply with
very little problems, since most lines that change are
in the SCRIPTS code and the loader, which should not be
any different in NetBSD. (BTW: I want to have the NCR
driver found in the FreeBSD-current sources compatible
to NetBSD as well, but don't have any NetBSD system to
test it on. I'd really qppreciate, if you could send
back the changes you had to apply. Else the code in
NetBSD will diverge it will become ever harder to apply
changes made to the FreeBSD code ...)

> What's the benefit of loading the microcode into the on-chip RAM, anyways?

The NCR chips traditionally fetched instructions from
system DRAM. The 53c810 only supported single cycle
accesses (which required two to three single DWORD PCI
bus transfers per instruction), later chips offered
burst op-code fetch and read-ahead for better PCI bus
efficiency and higher execution rates.

The 4KB SRAM found in 53c825A and 53c875 chips is big
enough to hold most of the code required for normal SCSI
command execution. Only the scatter/gather tables and
some exception handling code doesn't fit in, but since
this is only a small fraction of all accesses, the PCI
bus load can be significantly reduced. Since the CPU in
the NCR chip will stall if it can fetch instructions fast
enough, use of the SRAM can reduce SCSI command overhead
and the associated latencies, which will be most obvious
in a system with many disk drives and possibly several
NCR SCSI controllers.

Regards, STefan