Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:14:17 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Hans van Reenen <H.vanReenen@UCI.KUN.NL>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some questions before installation FreeBSD 2.2.2

Hans van Reenen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not sure, are the following components be able to run FreeBsd ?
>
> - Video: Diamond Stealth64 Video 2001 chipset S3 765

FreeBSD can use almost any graphics card. For X-windows (XFree86), the
Diamond should be supported. Full details are on http://www.xfree86.org

> - Cdrom: Vertos 400HTD 4 speed (atapi),
>
> According the boot flop operation, this cdrom is detected but it recognize
> no cd inside.  The following message appears (during boot the system with
> the FreeBSD bootflop) when FreeBSD does a probe on the second IDE port.
>
>      "atapi1.0: unkown phase".

This appears with many ATAPI drives. Boot the boot floppy, with the CD
in the drive, and try to set the media type to CDROM in sysinstall
(somewhere under options I beleive). If it lets you do that - the CD was
recognized.

> I think that FreeBSD will not support this cd-rom drive. But I am not for
> sure.
>
> Which ATAPI drive('s) does guarantee FreeBSD support ???
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>                      \\\|///
>                     \\ ~ ~ //
>                    (  @ @  )