Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:29:28 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Pookie" <madriax@garlic.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem

Hello!

> I know this is a common question but i need some help configuring a
> Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data, ICH Modem on my Sony VAIO GRX570.

The word 'Soft' in the name of the modem leads one to believe that this
is so-called 'winmodem': a modem without hardware DSP, which relies on
OS doing a lot (all?) of the actual modulation-demodulation work.

If this is the case, it is highly unlikely that you can use this modem
with FreeBSD. Softmodems are targeted mainly to Microsoft Windows and
several of them can also be used with Linux, but only some Lucent
softmodems can be used with FreeBSD, AFAIK.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Feeling compressed ARJ you?