Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hang problem with spamass-milter...

I have spamass-milter compiled and running in a fresh 4.6-stable
box (built last week).  If two mail messages arrive "close enough" in
time, spamc hangs hard (needs kill -9 to stop it) in pipe-read state
with spamass-milter in pipe-read also.  I have a suspicion about
read acting non-blocking in the pipe case; looking through the
pthread_read.c source, as long as EWOULDBLOCK or EAGAIN work right
things shouldn't act like this.

Do these work right on pipes in thread context?  I guess I could set
up a test program...

Note that spamc is not compiled thread-safe (not required here since
it is started for each message).

spamass-milter's configure does not make the right choices for freebsd;
I presume the port fixes this (I did so myself, adding _THREAD_SAFE and
-pthread).  The C++ library may or may not be thread-safe?

I saw a query about this same thing dated last Feb (looking at the
code fragment, I suspect it was in the same program); it is
still around.

The hint at a fix then was "are you sure you are writing anything".
Given that the identical code works fine in debian, I suspect a system
problem.  To me it appears to be the behavior of EWOULDBLOCK/EAGAIN with
pipes in thread context.

-- Pete