Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:20:15 GMT
From:      Mykhaylo Yehorov <yehorov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/164090: [umodem] [patch] Add sysctl with ucom unit number

The following reply was made to PR usb/164090; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mykhaylo Yehorov <yehorov@gmail.com>
To: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc: freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:51:07 +0200

 On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:54, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Could you patch ucom_set_pnpinfo_usb() instead, so that such a sysctl is
 > created for all ucom devices, not only umodem?

 I guess it will be necessary to remove a sysctl oid from a parent
 sysctl tree before destroying ucom structures.
 It's would be better to do in ucom_detach() but now there is no a
 pointer to a parent device structure from there.

 Now all drivers that use ucom pass a pointer to parent softc structure
 to ucom_attach().
 Is there any reason for this?
 May be it's would be more useful to pass a pointer to a parent device structure.

 > Can you explain a bit more how you use this information in your scripts?

 I've got a gps receiver and a mobile phone that supported by the umodem driver.
 I can attach its in any order.
 So I use sysctl to generate gpsd and ppp configs with appropriate
 values of serial port.

 --
 Mykhaylo Yehorov