Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2013 02:16:15 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 9.1 without re-partitioning hard drive

On Mar 15, 2013 12:48 AM, <leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net> wrote:

> Good afternoon, FreeBSD enthusiasts.  I am attempting to install FreeBSD
9.1 on a dual-boot configuration with Windows XP.  I am using bsdinstall.
 I do not wish for the partition table to be changed.  How do I instruct
bsdinstall to skip the re-partitioning step?  It gives an error message
that it cannot write a certain file because the medium is write-only.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  Yours truly, Newby Lee

You're trying to install to your windows partition, that won't work.

You need free space on the drive which implies shrinking your existing
partition.