Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:50:54 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>, Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost disklabel

>On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:19:11AM -0600, Patrick Hartling wrote:
>
>>  I have a machine that is running -current from October 10, 2002.  It had
>>  been running fine for about two weeks--up until I had to reboot it.
>>  When it came back up, one of my disks apparently lost its disklabel.
>>
>  > Is there any way to recover a disklabel?  If not, I'm willing to grovel
>  > the disk and try to reconstruct its disklabel

If you're running -current, you might see if you have the source for
"/usr/src/tools/tools/find-sb".  This is a simple program which might
help get some of the missing information.  You would have to compile
it, as the program is not automatically built and installed.

>  > but disklabel(8) won't even let me try to make a new one.  If I
>  > run 'disklabel -e da3s1', I get an error saying "ioctl DIOCGDINFO:
>>  Inappropriate ioctl for device".  Running 'disklabel -r da3s1' gives a
>>  "bad magic pack number" error, which does not surprise me.
>  >
>  > This is a "dangerously dedicated" disk with a single BIOS partition
>>  containing four FreeBSD partitions.  I have a second identical disk in
>>  the machine.  fdisk(8) gives the same information for each, so I don't
>>  think the BIOS partition is messed up.  Is there something obvious that
>  > I'm missing about how to fix this problem?

I don't know why you'd get this error though.  I had to do something
like this just this past weekend, and disklabel pretty much worked
for me.  You may be this problem due to having a "dangerously dedicated"
hard disk.  (note that I'm running a more recent snapshot of -current,
so maybe my system has some changes that yours is missing).