Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL natd rules....

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:

> I am doing a little prep work so when DSL comes in, I will be ready. These are
> the proposed rules/entrys/and set up I am thinking of useing. I have in rc.conf
> for it. The system that this comes from is going to be a gateway/router. It is
> connected to the net like this:

<snippage>

  looks pretty standard to me..

  so, questions:

  1 - is the cisco going to firewall, or do you want the freebsd box to do
  it?

  2 - do you need to access the network from anywhere else?

> Here is my proposed rc.conf for the gateway/router:
>
> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> # please make all changes to this file.
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> ifconfig_de0="inet 192.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> defaultrouter="NO"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="de1"
> natd_flags="-s"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="OPEN"
> dhclient de1
> network_interfaces="de0 de1 lo0"
> hostname="alpha.cybcon.com"
>
> Thanks for any advice/help

  first, take a look at the man page for natd(8):

     -log | -l   Log various aliasing statistics and information to the
                 file /var/log/alias.log. This file is truncated each time
                 natd is started.

     -deny_incoming | -d
                 Reject packets destined for the current IP number that
                 have no entry in the internal translation table.

  with just these two, you've not got a basic firewall. natd simply drops
  the packet when it's told to deny_incoming.

     -use_sockets | -s
                 Allocate a socket(2) in order to establish an FTP data or
                 IRC DCC send connection.  This option uses more system
                 resources, but guarantees successful connections when
                 port numbers conflict.

  this is just plain handy, for obvious reasons.

     -dynamic    If the -n or -interface option is used, natd will monitor
                 the routing socket for alterations to the interface
                 passed.  If the interfaces IP number is changed, natd
                 will dynamically alter its concept of the alias address.

  you will probably have to have this option dropped in. make sure natd is
  bound to the external port (with -n <interface>)

  there's a whole bunch of useful info in the natd man pages, read them.

  -- jan

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."