Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:53:40 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skype-2.1.0.81_1,1 && font error

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:41:15 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> This is in 10-CURRENT with ports from /head:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD tiny-r255948 10.0-ALPHA4 FreeBSD 10.0-ALPHA4 #0 r255948: Tue
> Oct 1 09:00:53 CEST 2013
> guru@aurora.Sisis.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> When Sk starts is complaines:
>
> $ sh -x /usr/local/bin/skype
> +
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/local/share/skype/skype
> --resources=/usr/local/share/skype Fontconfig error:
> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
> non-double matrix element
> Fontconfig error:
> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70:
> non-double matrix element
> Fontconfig warning:
> "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw
> unknown, expected number
>
> but it comes up fine;

This can happen if the syntax used in the .conf files is not compatible
between the fontconfig version in FreeBSD and in the linuxulator ports.

> What makes me wonder is why the Linux binary makes access to our files
> in /usr/local/...

That's by design. The linux program looks for /a/b/c, the linuxulator
first looks in /compat/linux/a/b/c, and if it doesn't find it there, it
looks in /a/b/c. If it wouldn't work like that, you wouldn't be able to
access your home directory without manual work to also make it
available in the /compat/linux subtree. And the
linux_base-infrastructure makes heavy use of this so that you only have
to configure the corresponding FreeBSD part and the linux-counterpart
works without further work. Fontconfig is just one of the things which
make use of this.

Bye,
Alexander.