Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:42:15 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        walton@nordicrecords.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 770

> | > If you have more then 64M you need to set MAXMEM to the size your machine
> | > says.  Also set flags 0x10 on your keyboard.  Both are done in your kernel
> | > config file.
> |
> | I thought I saw in the mailing list that 0x10 no longer exists in 3.2?
>
> Could be but it doesn't hurt to have it set ... note the device changed to
> atkbd0 when syscons was split out.  My machine seems to boot more reliably
> with that flag then without.  It could have been something else though.

Probably just in your mind.  As Kazu pointed out (and I forwarded it to
the list) the new flag to atkbdo is 0x4.  And, if you look at the source
code to the atkbd driver, the only flags it accepts are:

#define KB_CONF_FAIL_IF_NO_KBD  (1 << 0) /* don't install if no kbd is found */
#define KB_CONF_NO_RESET        (1 << 1) /* don't reset the keyboard */
#define KB_CONF_ALT_SCANCODESET (1 << 2) /* assume the XT type keyboard */

So, if you set 0x10, no flags are set that are supported.

> | > The amount of memory that exists is about 512K *less* than FreeBSD
> | > thinks, due to the way that IBM maps the BIOS and other stuff.
> | >
> | > You need to set MAXMEM to the amount of memory listed at bootup on the
> | > upper-left corner, and all will be well.
> |
> | Ah, now I understand the MAXMEM suggestions!  (I assume the boot floppy works
> | because it has MAXMEM set relatively low?)
> |
> | I have not yet had a chance to get back to this problem, but when I do...  As
> | Doug mentions, these settings are in the kernel config.  How am I supposed to
> | recompile the kernel if I can't boot the computer after install??
>
> I did it by pulling out the extra DIMM (mine came with 2 64M DIMMs) ... or
> atleast that is what I remember doing.  Note I did the first install with
> 3.2 then I upgraded to current.

I wasn't installed 3.*, but 2.2.8.  In 2.2, you can set the memory size
with the npx flags, but this is no longer supported.  In newer version
of -current (this may exist in the latest -stable release as well) you
can also set the maximum memory probed bia the boot manager, but this is
not yet in any release.

So, you must remove some of the memory to get this working.  Again, this
should be easier in future releases.

> Also in current, MAXMEM isn't needed with the recent VM86 memory size change.
> So life should get better.

I *believe* (but am not positive) this is only in -current, and not in
3.2.

Nate