Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:16:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Nathan Stratton <nathan@netrail.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: News server

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Steve wrote:

> > You would get a real speed increase if you used 5 4GB SCSI disks.  Those
> [snip]
>
> Do you or anyone on this list think CCD'ing would make a significant
> increase in thruput over the 5 4 gig scenario?

The advantage of keeping them separate is that you can span high-access
newsgroups (ie alt) across multiple disks to get better access times.
With CCD, you get what you get and you can't customize.  However, you can
collate the free spaces together so you use space more efficiently.

> I have a couple of news servers with multiple same sized drives that were
> set up before I knew of ccd.  Do the benefits outweight the risks if one
> goes bad?

Not being experienced with ccd, I can't say what happens if a whole disk
goes kerplunk, I'm guessing you'd see a greater amount of file damage if
ccd can't piece the broken sections back together again.  But if a disk
goes down, you're going to loose data, it's just what data you're going to
loose.

The pulse I'm getting is, it's up to you.  ccd hasn't been around long
enough to say whether one way is better than another, and YMMV.  Myself, I
like the non-CCD version, but that's from someone who's never set up a
news server.  (Oh what information you can glean just by reading
questions:)

I would suggest searching the mail archives for further information; many
such as you have asked about this.