Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:17:53 +0100
From:      "Rob" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        "Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor" <staylor@mrynet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Install fail on Dell PowerEdge 1550

> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.3 from an ISO image I got from
> > ftp.uk.freebsd.org on a Dell PowerEdge 1550 server.
> >
> > I can't seem to get it to work... I've tried several different
> options in
> > the installation process, and everything installs 'ok', but then when it
> > reboots it doesnt work.
> >
> > If I did an install using a standard MBR rather than the
> bootmanager I just
> > get the message 'Missing Operating System', and it won't do
> anything... if I
> > install using the boot manager I get this:
> >
> > F1    FreeBSD
> > Default: F1 _ (the cursor)
> >
> > The cursor flashes, but if I press enter or F1 or anything like
> that it just
> > beeps at me...
>
> I had this identical problem on a PowerEdge 5166.
>
> I am booting my PowerEdge from a disk on the on-board Adaptec controller.
> It was necessary for me to disable ">1gb disk" support in the Adaptec
> BIOS.  After I disabled that, the machine booted right up.
Hmmm... I've done that now - its disabled, but it still doesn't work... I've
tried reinstalling it with the address translation disabled as well, and it
still doesn't work.

I think my drive geometry must be wrong because I'm sure the disk is 9GB,
but during install it says that it is:
1822 cyls/244 heads/40 sectors = 17782720 sectors (8682MB)

The drive is a Seagate Cheetah XL (st39204lc)... the specs are as follows...

       UNFORMATTED CAPACITY (GB) ________________
       FORMATTED CAPACITY (GB) __________________9.175
       AVERAGE SECTORS PER TRACK ________________415 rounded down
       ACTUATOR TYPE ____________________________ROTARY VOICE COIL
       TRACKS ___________________________________86,304
       CYLINDERS ________________________________14,384 user
       HEADS ______PHYSICAL______________________3
       DISCS (3.5 in) ___________________________2
       MEDIA TYPE _______________________________THIN FILM/GMR
       RECORDING METHOD _________________________PRML 16/17 EPR4
       INTERNAL TRANSFER RATE (mbits/sec)________285 to 424
       INTERNAL FORMATTED TRANSFER RATE (MB/sec)_26 to 40
       EXTERNAL TRANSFER RATE (mbyte/sec) _______40 Sync
            Low Voltage Differential(LVD) _______80/160 Sync
       SPINDLE SPEED (RPM) ______________________10,033
       AVERAGE LATENCY (mSEC) ___________________2.99
       BUFFER (/optional) _______________________4MB/16MB
         Read Look-Ahead, Adaptive,
         Multi-Segmented Cache
       INTERFACE ________________________________Ultra SCSI Wide
              Low Voltage Differential __________Ultra3-SCSI Wide
              ASA II, SCAM level 2 (1 default)
       BYTES PER TRACK __________________________203,008 avg
       SECTORS PER DRIVE ________________________17,921,834
       TPI (TRACKS PER INCH) ____________________18,145
       BPI (PEAK KBITS PER INCH) ________________339
       AVERAGE ACCESS (ms read/write)____________5.2/5.8
         Drive level without controller overhead
       SINGLE TRACK SEEK (ms read/write) ________0.6/0.9
       MAX FULL SEEK (ms read/write) ____________10.0/11.0
       MTBF (power-on hours) ____________________1,200,000
       SHOCK (G's, 11/2/.5 ms):
                operating (Read/Write) __________15
                abnormal ________________________15
                nonoperating ____________________150/250/
       ACOUSTICS (Bels typical) ________Idle ____3.8
                                         Max ____
       POWER DISSIPATION (watts/BTUs) Active ____/
                                      Idle ______7.0/23.8
       POWER REQUIREMENTS: +12V START-UP (amps) _1.7
                           +12V TYPICAL (amps) __0.35 idle
                           +5V START-UP (amps) __0.7
                           +5V TYPICAL (amps) ___0.55 idle
                           IDLE (watts) _________9
       IBM AT DRIVE TYPE ________________________0 or NONE

       Physical:
                        Height (inches/mm):     1.02/26.13
                        Width  (inches/mm):     4.01/101.98
                        Depth  (inches/mm):     5.77/146.68
                        Weight    (lbs/kg):      1.5/0.680

Already low-level formatted at the factory with x spare sectors at
the end of each x cylinder region.

ZBR = Zone Bit Recording = Variable sectors per track

What should my drive geometry settings be (it doesnt say on the actual HD)

-Rob

http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk

"May the forks be with us." - Blue Raja (Mystery Men)

Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes less and less
obvious as you begin to study the universe.
For example, there are no solids in the universe.
There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums.
There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
---- R. Buckminster Fuller