Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 12:40:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@aida.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pty

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> HEY!  I've written Minitel code before, for a contract with your ministry
> of defense!  Big building, looks like an upside-down squared-off "U"!
>
> 8-).

In Paris ?

In 1987 I sold a minitel server to a teacher union. During spring time they
make more than 12000 connections a day. I will replace their
old 486DX33/Interactive Unix by a Pentium-133/FreeBSD-2.1-STABLE machine.
I also plan to improve the minitel server for the new services; fast minitel
and PC accesses.

> I think that the expensive part of the pty is going to be there whether
> or not you put in the endpoint.
>
> You may save on fd's doing this, but I think overall the increased code
> complexity in the muxed pty driver will steal back whatever savings you
> get that way.

An other idea is to add a bit map of opened pty/ttyp in the pty/ttyp driver
to speed up the function that find an unopened pty/ttyp.

> Something like this will probably be a false economy, unless maybe you
> will put *all* of your code in the kernel.

I'm sure that it would be the best solution but I dont have any idea on
how to use tcp/ip from inside the kernel.

--
Didier Derny
didier@aida.org