Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:45:41 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console patch part II...

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:56:50AM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:

> With a custom kernel with the Creator-3D support compiled in and
> device adjustments as typically recommended (add sc, uart, puc;
> remove sab and zs) the uart code stops working properly.  If
> you take a look at dev/uart_kbd_sun.c it looks like there is a
> lot of unfinished stuff there.  I think having the ofw console
> opened is putting the keyboard's uart into something other than
> its normal default-after-reset state and the uart code isn't
> handling that very well.

It sounds really bad to have 2 drivers operating on the same
devices. If you have uart(4) for console and keyboard, you should
probably remove ofw_console.

Your patch looks like a big kluge. Mostly because you're delaying
cninit() and hardcode a dependency on ofw_console. That sure breaks
my box and I'm not going to add ofw_console simply because I
already have a console (using uart(4)).