Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:05:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   permissions and /dev/speaker

If this is not an appropriate place for this question, please let me know.

I would like to write to /dev/speaker from a CGI script to sound the
speaker on a web server. I use the Apache http server compiled from
sources and run under the user "nobody". The web server has multiple
logins.

By default, permissions on /dev/speaker are:

crw-------  1 root  wheel   26,   0 Nov 15 18:00 /dev/speaker

I was thinking of creating a "speaker" user/group and placing the httpd
user in that group, setting permissions as follows:

crw-rw----  1 root  speaker 26,   0 Nov 15 18:00 /dev/speaker

or bypassing the creation of the new user/group and using:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   26,   0 Nov 15 18:00 /dev/speaker

Is anyone aware of any potential problems or holes that may arise from
this? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Regards,
Chuck O'Donnell