Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:13:03 -0600
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        "Bruce Caruthers" <bkc-freebsdlists@dreamfire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bootable rescue cd?

On 7/24/07, Bruce Caruthers <bkc-freebsdlists@dreamfire.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> Given my "special-case" system (DG965WH), I am
> trying to make a custom boot CD based off the
> original 6.2-RELEASE/amd64 install disc in case I
> ever need to login to fix it (such as when I had to
> do a partial reinstall when I made a typo in one of
> the loader files).
>
> I have replaced /boot/kernel with one with Antony's
> marvell patch built into it, and have added the
> hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" to /boot/device.hints, so
> it should all boot, which gives me a safe reinstall
> option.
>
> But...
> How do I make it simply boot to a login or command
> line?  I can't seem to find where it jumps to
> sysinstall so I can disable that.
>
> Apologies if i missed something obvious.  I tried
> following the boot procedure through the *.4th
> files, but the last time I programmed in Forth was
> in one of the original MUDs (i.e. ages ago) and I
> wasn't an expert in it even then.
>
> Thanks!
>    -bkc

You might look into FreeSBIE (available in the ports collection under
./ports/sysutils/freesbie). To quote the package description file:

"...The FreeSBIE port is a collection of scripts which help a user to
create CDs/DVDs containing a complete operating system based on
FreeBSD. It is used as "live-cd" and boots straight from CD...Creation
of the CDs/DVDs is completely dialog based as well as building and
installing of packages..."

If memory serves me correctly, it supports the ability to specify a
custom kernel to use and packages you wish to have installed in the
ISO file it constructs from your existing installed system. It's worth
looking at, even if just to see what makes it tick under the hood.

-Modulok-