Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 11:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Shimon@i-connect.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches on senderp-ppp.i-connect.net

> > a) It is not ``proprietary'' unless you take legal and proper actions
> >    to keep it as such.  In most cases you have done just the opposite,
> >    you've given pointers to it in a public forum.
>
> Correct.
>
> > b) The action of making it avaliable to anyone other than yourself
> >    is `publication'', thierfor the code is not ``unpublished''.
>
> Then AT&T/USL/Novell/SCO code isn't publication either, since they
> contain the same wording.  I'd tend to be believe that the above isn't
> true.

The AT&T/USL/Novell/SCO code is _only_ made avaliable under license
agreement, and the _signed_ license is what keeps it unpublished.  So
you are correct, my statement was incomplete, whoever, Simons code
has been ``published'' since he did not protect himself with a
``license''.

> > c) Your ftp server welcome message desen't even head any warnings
> >    what so ever.
>
> I don't think it matters, since many ftp servers that distribute
> copyrighted software don't have welcome messages.  Welcome messages
> aren't even standard on stock ftp server.

People keep going back to ``copyright'' his copyright is fine, he
has copyriht protection, but, the other parts are pretty much blown.
mail message...

> But, the first clause alone is enough to make things 'interesting.

Yep.....

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD