Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 95 12:11:54 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Card recomendations?

> Looking around on the WWW, there are a couple different models of the
> GUS just like there are many types of SoundBlasters.

I have the original GUS but I was buying one today, I'd get
GUS MAX as it has 16bit record/playback upto 48Khz (+ CD ROM
interface, MIDI, wavetable synthesis etc.).  There is also
GUS ACE, which is a lot cheaper and does not do CDROM &
Joystick interfaces and is meant for people with SBs but can
also work on its own.  I don't know if it can record.  If it
can, that'd be the card to get.

But don't rely on Fry's having any GUS cards!  Since you are
not local to the Bay area you may want to try mail order
places.  You should be able to get the GUS MAX for under
$139.