Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 02:05:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete McNab <stillers@slip.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        ghormann@indiana.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos in 3.0-current

> On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Gregory James Hormann wrote:
> > I have been attempting to mount my dos directory in FreeBSD.  The
> > partition is over 1GB in size.  When I try to mount it, I get the
> > following message:
> >
> > /kernel mountmsdosdf(): Warning root directory is not a multiple of the
> > clustersize in length
>
> Bad.  Very bad.  Dismount your DOS filesystem and hope it wasn't damaged
> :(  -- And never mount it until we confirm it's totally fixed.

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0, and got this when mounting my dos drive
which was 500Meg.  However, I used FIPS to change the partition
information from one that was originally 1.2 Gig to split off
700Meg for FreeBSD.

I wonder if FIPS causes this in some ways, by modifying an
existing 'partition', instead of initially creating a whole new
'partition'.

It mounted ok, but when I ran a find on the /c fs, it choked and
ended up nuking all of the filesystems, and I ended up having to
reinstall.

Oddly, the DOS partition survived intact.  I don't know how I should
feel about that :)

Pete