Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:32:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        "Ing.Richard Andrysek" <richard.andrysek@riedel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPDIF capture device?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Ing.Richard Andrysek wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I've read your question about SPDIF capture device on freebsd. I am
> currently looking for similar device.Have you found such one? Can you
> access subcode etc.?

Sorry, I never did find anything immediately useful for SPDIF capture. I
did find a large number of false leads, though.  These were mainly audio
cards and chipsets that claimed to have SPDIF input, but the companies
either refused to provide information or to even reply at all.

Andrew Gordon had an interesting idea, to use something like this:
  http://www.gigatechnology.com/usbio.html

If I had not solved my SPDIF problem (manufacturer documentation error), I
probably would have build a capture device around some microcontroller, or
maybe even a PLD connected to my host's parallel port.

If you also want to capture the raw bits for testing your framing and
subcodes, you may see the same kind of difficulties I had :-(

Good luck!

-Richard